Import.io is on a mission to enable web data. The web is the world’s largest database, but getting data from the web is hard. Import.io is on an ambitious mission to solve that problem and make web data a reliable, high quality data source. We have built the world’s only enterprise Web Data Integration platform that can parse data from any website, at scale and deliver that data accurately, on time, every time. Our customers are among the world’s leading organizations and they use web data on their most important business problems, running mission critical applications and services with the web data that we provide to them. Together we can make sure that no one ever has to write a web scraper again – we’re just getting started.
The Delivery Director role at import.io provides leadership for our implementation engagements with clients. You’ll use your extensive leadership and project management experience to manage our team of smart and driven engineers to deliver fully scoped and effective solutions to our clients.
Location: USA, UK or globally remote.
Responsibilities Lead Development Teams
Throughout the development lifecycle, you will direct and oversee the activities of a team of developers, answering questions or helping to resolve issues as they arise. This aspect of the role requires you to ensure that specifications and requirements are clearly articulated to their development teams. You will monitor timelines and progress to ensure that team members are adhering to these specifications. You may also serve as a liaison between client-facing personnel and developers.
Interface Directly with Clients
From the initial conversations to determine project scope and specifications to the final presentation of software solutions, you will meet directly with clients to provide feedback and updates on development projects. You may prepare reports and presentations, as well as demonstrations, to keep the client informed about issues that arise during development and report on integration and deployment.
Manage External Vendors
You may work with outside vendors to develop and implement specific aspects of the software solution. This aspect of the role may require you to consider costs and timelines and ensure that vendors meet deadlines for deliverables and project elements. You may review proposals and estimates from these vendors and determine whether they fit into existing budgetary and time restrictions and ensure that external solutions work with internal development projects.
Gather Functional Requirements
You will be working closely with sales team members to gain a complete sense of client expectations and limitations before undertaking a project. You may examine existing systems and programs to identify areas for improvement and integration, and work with the engineering teams to deliver required functionality.
You will use your familiarity with functional requirements and existing systems to develop project specifications. You will develop design documents, schedules and test plans, prepare documentation, and assemble documents presenting project guidelines and milestones to team members. You may need to identify potential issues between systems and client specifications and propose new solutions to work around these limitations.
Determine Project Scope
You are responsible for determining a project’s scope before developers begin any major work. You may conduct extra research on existing systems and configurations to determine whether added time and work is necessary to align the project with existing systems. Throughout this process, you will communicate directly with enterprise architects, developers, and clients.
Monitor and Manage Quality
You will own monitoring the quality of the solution or data that is delivered to the customer, including all QA processes for software and data, if necessary supplementing the data quality processes available in the product.
You need to be highly technical and able to translate functional requirements into robust software solutions. You’ll have over 5 years of experience in a solutions engineering and/or architecture support position, along with the following skills:
- Technical Literacy – You must possess a high level of technical literacy, so that you can design how a software solution fits into an organization’s current structure, and own the development of specifications and requirements
- Analytical Assessment – This role requires a high level of analysis since you will need to examine a client’s current systems and determine overall project needs and scope
- Schedule Management – You will need extensive time management skills to determine development schedules and milestones and ensure that deliverables are completed on time
- Team Leadership – Because you will oversee and direct development teams throughout the project development lifecycle, experience with team leadership and motivation is essential
- Communication – You are responsible for communicating with team members, clients, and external vendors, so you will need excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem-Solving – You will need to be able to quickly change direction based on updated client specifications or system limitations
- Web technologies – You will need robust experience with web technologies, including HTTP 1/2, websockets, cookies, ES6+/Typescript, scraping
- Container technology – You will need experience of container technologies, such as Kubernetes and Docker
- AWS – You will need experience of deploying infrastructure to AWS, including Infrastructure-as-Code tools such as CloudFormation
- SDLC – You will need clear understanding of SDLC, including peer review, test strategies (including unit testing), and promotion of code through to production.